ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE IS ON THE HORIZON
Who knows; maybe our government knows something we don’t? In an early summer Blog Post for the CDC, Ali Kahn posited the question, “Where do zombies come from and why do they love eating brains so much? ……Zombies would take over entire countries, roaming city streets eating anything living that got in their way. The proliferation of this idea has led many people to wonder – How do I prepare for a zombie apocalypse?“
No, no, no. Our government is not really saying there is going to be a Zombie Apocalypse. They are using pop culture to sell us yet another PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT —- this one on “preparedness”. And in all honesty, their message of being ready with emergency food supplies, water, tools, etc, is not all bad. In its own watered down way, it is the message that hardcore survivalists have been preaching for years. But when the chips are down, who do I want on my side? Some kid who thought the CDC’s Zombie article was “cool”, or a curmudgeonly old ex-marine who knows how to live off the land and take care of himself in a firefight? Not surprisingly, this article failed to mention the need to arm yourself against this coming Zombie Invasion. We don’t wonder why. The current administration is unarguably anti-gun. But I guess we shouldn’t worry. One of the article’s headers says, “Never Fear — CDC is Ready!“
Kahn’s piece goes on to say that, “If zombies did start roaming the streets, CDC would conduct an investigation much like any other disease outbreak. CDC would provide technical assistance to cities, states, or international partners dealing with a zombie infestation. This assistance might include consultation, lab testing and analysis, patient management and care, tracking of contacts, and infection control (including isolation and quarantine)“.
Does anyone remember Stephen King’s 1978 epic novel, The Stand? If I remember correctly, only about 1 in 300 people survives a government-induced (bio-weapons) plague. The survivors form up into two large groups (good guys -vs- bad guys) and follow their respective leaders (a sweet elderly black woman rocking on her front porch in rural Nebraska, and bad man with dark eyes and cowboy boots) to Colorado and Las Vegas, where they will eventually battle each other for control of the country —- or what’s left of it anyway. Intriguing concept. And interestingly enough, if my memory serves me, the book began with a government quarantine. If you understand how government quarantines work, you might begin to wonder about the above statement from the CDC. If you try and break quarantine, soldiers (or UN policemen) will eliminate you on the spot.
All of this begs the question of whether the CDC or any other governmental agency has any sort of credibility in this sort of thing. When it comes to real life disasters, the only organizations that seem to be getting it right are the faith-based (church) groups. They were on the ground almost immediately, bringing in water, food, clothing, and medical supplies to devastated people. But the government shut many of these down — even before they started supplying disaster relief themselves. This and the known fiasco-rate of other government-run endeavors tells me that we should be very leery of trusting the government to take care of us when the chips are down. So; if we can’t trust the government to protect us in the case of a disaster, what should we do?
HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF IN A DISASTER
(WHETHER NATURAL OR MAN MADE)
- FOOD: What you do here really depends upon how much space you have. Can you put a deep freeze full of meat in your basement? Can you power it if the lights go out? Do you have a garden spot and know what to do with it? Can you stock up on some extra canned goods? Do several weeks / months of freeze dried foods or military rations (MRE’s) sound like a good investment to you? Have you got some heirloom seeds stockpiled (the seeds of most plants raised from store-bought seed packets will not grow —- they are purposely sterile). These are all things to think about. Do your own research.
- WATER: Water is a basic necessity. Although I would suggest that you do store some water, storing water is not easy because it takes up a lot of space. There are all sorts of ways around this — gizmos that you can purchase for the emergency purification of water — many quite inexpensive.
- GUNS & AMMO: Few people are aware of just how quickly a situation (particularly in urban areas) can degenerate into chaos, anarchy, and mayhem. Does anyone remember the Rodney King Riots in LA (over 50 people killed and over 2,000 injured)? What about New Orleans after Katrina? How about the Michael Brown Riots in the St. Louis area? Any time the power goes out, your chances of ending up in an anything-goes situation — particularly if you live in the city — increase dramatically. And although the CDC did not mention the need for firearms in their article, taking advantage of your 2nd Amendment rights could prove to be the difference-maker for you and your family. I really don’t care what your personal beliefs are on firearms; when the SHTF and the “zombies” are beating at your door, do you want to trust your wife and daughters (not to mention your sons) to your ability to talk your way out of a desperate situation? Few things speak louder than a 12 gauge pump loaded with 00. Better to have dependable firearms and never need them, than to need them and not have them (and don’t forget the ammo).
- TOOLS & EMERGENCY SUPPLIES: There are all sorts of things to have on hand. Do your own research and plan accordingly.
- EMERGENCY PLAN / EMERGENCY KIT: Do you know how to turn your water off in the event that the power goes out during the winter months? Do you know your neighbors? Do you know how to garden? Do you have seeds? What about extra blankets? Do you ave any sort of backup cooking or heat? Did you know that you can get inexpensive radios and flashlights that run via hand cranks?
The truth is, you can really go overboard with some of this stuff. But then again, in the event of a real disaster, no matter how much you have prepared, you will wish that you had done more. I am not convinced you need to live your life like television’s “Preppers”. However, some internet research, a bit of simple planning, and some common sense could literally be the difference between life and death for you and your family.
What are the odds of a disaster happening to you? I’m no statistician so I am not sure. But as a student of history I can tell you this. No nation in history has taken on the amount of debt we have taken on without crumbling. When it finally happens, it will happen all at once — just like it did a little bit over 80 years ago. All it takes is a plunge in the markets, a total loss of confidence in our government-backed (paper) currency, and a run on the banks. Once people realize that there is nothing but thin air and government IOU’s backing their dollars, the panic will set in.
The difference between then and now, is that back in the late 20’s and 30’s most people did not have much of anything to begin with. For many people, the Great Depression was just another day in the life. Folks worked hard and most of them lived hand-to-mouth with few conveniences or luxuries. People made do with whatever they had and could repair or fabricate anything. There was much deeper ‘community’ back then as well. People went to church and helped each other through hard times.
It’s a very different society we live in today. On top of that, there is nothing (gold nor silver) backing our currency like there was back then. Add in the fact that we have a huge (and rapidly increasing) segment of our non-elderly population being completely supported by the government, and you might begin to see the potential for a Zombie Invasion after all.