60 MINUTES INTERVIEWS ROBERT LUSTIG ON SUGAR & PROCESSED CARBOHYDRATES
Lustig obtained his bachelors degree from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1976, and received his M.D. from Cornell University Medical College in 1980. From there, he spent six years as a research associate in neuroendocrinology at The Rockefeller University. He performed his pediatric residency at St. Louis Children’s Hospital, and his clinical fellowship at University of California San Francisco which he joined in 1984. He has authored over 85 research articles and 45 book chapters. He is the former Chairman of the Obesity Task Force of the Pediatric Endocrine Society, a member of the Obesity Task force of The Endocrine Society, and on the Steering Committee of the International Endocrine Alliance to Combat Obesity. On May 26, 2009, Lustig gave a lecture called “Sugar: The Bitter Truth”, which is posted on YouTube. The video has gone viral.
SUGAR: THE BITTER TRUTH
VIDEO COURTESY OF UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA (UCTV)
- Fructose causes high uric acid levels, that lead to both High Blood Pressure and gout. I blogged about this (HERE) almost a year ago.
- Fructose causes your liver to synthesize fats, which leads to high cholesterol, high triglycerides, and heart disease.
- Fructose causes Insulin Resistance (high levels of blood sugar and insulin simultaneously), which in turn causes Type II Diabetes — a problem now being seen in grade school children.
- Fructose increases fat deposits in the liver. The number one cause of fatty liver and Cirrhosis is not alcohol abuse —- it’s sugar consumption.
- Unlike other foods, Fructose does not reduce the hunger hormone ghrelin. Ghrelin by way of affecting both insulin and the hormone leptin, tells the brain to stop eating. No Ghrelin, and you keep on eating —– fructose.
- Fructose feeds cancer. Although the 60 Minutes interviewer oooohed and ahhhhhhed over the research on this topic, it has been common knowledge for decades. Simply do a Google search on “SUGAR FEEDS CANCER” and see what comes up. I promise you’ll be freaked out — even though the medical community is doing their best to bury this information.
By any measure, Americans consume a lot of sugar. Even the conservative estimates say that Americans are eating between 1/3 and 1/2 lb of sugar per person per day, with no end in sight. One of my most popular blog posts ever was on this very topic; unbridled sugar consumption and the affect of uncontrolled blood sugar on our health. It is the transcript of a talk that I delivered to our local Rotary club about six months ago —– a short, two part series called, THE NUMBER ONE HEALTH PROBLEM IN AMERICA TODAY. If you are interested in getting off the sugar, go back and click on the link just below Dr. Lustig’s video.