BEATING INFERTILITY NATURALLY
- -Number of women ages 15-44 with impaired ability to have children: 6.7 million
- -Percent of women ages 15-44 with impaired ability to have children: 10.9%
- -Number of married women ages 15-44 that are unable to get pregnant for at least 12 consecutive months: 1.5 million
- -Percent of married women ages 15-44 that are infertile: 6.0%
- -Number of women ages 15-44 who have ever used infertility services (ART — Assisted Reproductive Technology) : 7.4 million
Wow! Almost seven and a half million American women under 45 years old have been through IVF FERTILITY PROCEDURES known as ART. And if you throw in male infertility (numerous studies say that this accounts for nearly half of all infertility) and ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION, you can can begin to see why so many couples are unable to have children. As a woman, what can you do about it? Well, you could spend a fortune on fertility drugs, hormonal treatments, and procedures that seem more suited for a guinea pig than anything else. Sometimes these work, although there are a bundle of potential side effects. The other option is to beat infertility naturally. Here are some simple (generic) steps toward achieving your Fertility Makeover. Honestly, it’s not rocket science. Some of the very same things that work for VARIOUS DISEASE PROCESSES and hormonal issues are used to treat people with Infertility.
- CONTROL YOUR WEIGHT: If you are either overweight or underweight, your chances of getting pregnant diminish substantially. Plainly stated, if you are having trouble getting pregnant and are overweight, you’ll have to LOSE IT. Period — end of story. Although there are many reasons that women (or men) gain weight, the biggest has to do with the fact that most infertile women are failing to……….
- CONTROL BLOOD SUGAR: This is the number one most important thing on the list — by far (HERE). In case you have not been following my blog, let me share a secret to improving every single aspect of your health — CONTROL YOUR BLOOD SUGAR! Uncontrolled Blood Sugar is being intimately tied to virtually every single health problem under the sun, including PCOS. PCOS (POLYCYSTIC OVARY SYNDROME) is critical to understand because it is not only the number one cause of infertility in America (75% OF IT), it has a known cause. One of my all-time favorite movie lines was delivered by Arnold Schwarzenegger in the movie Predator. After the Predator (an invisible alien that is stalking a group of mercenaries through a South American jungle) trips a booby trap, everyone in Schwarzenegger’s elite para-military unit lets loose with a wild burst of automatic weapon fire. Arnold looks around and finds some yellow blood on a branch. His response; “It bleeds….. We can kill it.” The known cause of PCOS is Uncontrolled Blood Sugar. Fix your blood sugar (including HYPOGLYCEMIA) and you have just solved the major cause of infertility! Even if you have not (yet) been diagnosed with DIABETES. In case you did not understand, let me say it one more time. Deal with your blood sugar regulation issues and you have just dealt with the number one reason women fail to conceive. But in order to do this, you’ll have to…….
- MAKE THE NECESSARY CHANGES TO YOUR DIET: Let’s not beat around the bush. If you really want to have a baby, you need to go Low Carb, or better yet, PALEO. A WHOLE FOOD-based Low carb diet is going to allow you to deal with your blood sugar. And Paleo —- the next logical step in the process —- is going to do two biggies for you. It is going to cut NEUROLOGICALLY REACTIVE foods such as GLUTEN out of your diet. It is also going to help you control Inflammation. Getting pregnant will requite that you understand INFLAMMATION and the things that drive it. Let me quote to you from a study that came out just last week from the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine as reported in MedPage Today. By the way, this study provides an excellent example of the pitfalls of being “SKINNY FAT“.
“Two-thirds of the women who ate protein rich diets achieved pregnancy versus 31.9%, said Jeffrey B. Russell, MD, of the Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine. And the results were even more impressive when a high protein intake was combined with carbohydrate restriction as pregnancy rate climbed to 80%. People talk about obesity and BMI, about not getting pregnant when they are overweight, but we had some patients who were healthy, 110 to 115 pounds, and they were making terrible quality embryos. They were thin, young and healthy, but couldn’t get pregnant….. The lessons of this study might also be applied to diabetics who have the highest miscarriage rates, highest abnormality rates, and the highest birth defects and stillborn rates….. Fruits, vegetables, and lean meats will produce better quality sperm, as well as better quality eggs.“
- GET ADJUSTED: Although I rarely have patients who come to me specifically for fertility issues, I cannot even begin tell you how many women over the past 22 years have gotten pregnant after being under chiropractic care. If you want to better understand why, just go HERE.
- AVOID XENOHORMONES: Xenohormones are benzene-based chemicals (virtually any chemical with a smell including cleaners, perfumes, gasoline, etc) that mimic the effects of estrogen in your body. Understanding Xenohormones is critical — especially once you realize that most American women already tend toward Estrogen Dominance. Go HERE to learn more about Xenohormones. Oh; and hopefully you are already aware that SOY is a phyto-estrogen that should be avoided at all costs.
- AVOID CHEMICALS & TOXICITY: This can be in the form of alcohol, junk food, caffeine, pesticides, herbicides, etc. If you are trying to get pregnant and still SMOKING, you are probably already aware that you are shooting yourself (not to mention an unborn baby) in the foot. To avoid all of the crazy estrogen-based hormones contained in commercial meats (again, Xenohormones), make sure you are consuming organic. You will also need to watch out for VACCINES as they contain all sorts of toxic chemicals and elements, including mercury and aluminum — known fertility disruptors. I could say the same things about most DRUGS.
- EAT THE RIGHT FATS: Avoid TRANS FATS and make sure you are taking your PGFO. Cook with Coconut oil and use Extra Virgin Olive Oil to make salad dressings.
- YOU MAY HAVE HIDDEN DISEASES: There are many of these and I have already covered some. THYROID ISSUES are a frequent cause of infertility as is LEAKY GUT SYNDROME.
- TAKE THE CORRECT HERBS FROM THE BEST HERB COMPANY ON THE PLANET: Firstly, there are a host of pregnancy-friendly herbs such as Chaste Tree, Dong Qui, Vitex, Stinging Nettle, Red Raspberry, Red Clover, Maca, Alfalfa, Oatstraw, False Unicorn, Saw Palmetto, and others. Secondly, you need to get them from a reputable company such as STANDARD PROCESS / MEDIHERB. You should be able to find many of these combined into a tea as well.
- HAVE MORE SEX AT THE RIGHT TIME, USING THE BEST POSITION(S): A few weeks ago my kids and I took the Appleseed Project’s rifle shooting course. In order to qualify as a “Rifleman”, you had to hit very small targets a certain number of times in a certain amount of time. Needless to say, the more shots you could get off in the shortest period of time, the better your chances of qualifying. This is true of conception as well. Figure out WHEN the best time for conception is, use the Missionary Position with a pillow underneath your rear end to assure that semen gets to the cervix, and by all means, make sure your husband is putting a lot of lead downrange (i.e. have lots of sex during this time). If you are having a problem in this area, HERE are the posts to read.
- GIVE IT TIME: We have all heard the saying, you are what you eat. While this is true, it is not completely true. It would more accurately say, you are what you ate last year (or ten years ago, etc). For instance, the half-life of Trans Fats is nearly two months. Do not think that dietary and lifestyle changes made today will result in a pregnancy tomorrow. Give your makeover a year to work. I just talked with a patient who, after spending a fortune unsuccessfully going thru IVF for two years, radically changed her diet. Within a few months she was pregnant. And shortly after having her first, she was pregnant with her second. Take the right steps, give it a bit of time, and good things will happen!
According to CDC’s 2011 preliminary ART Fertility Clinic Success Rates Report, 163,038* ART cycles were performed at 451 reporting clinics in the United States during 2011, resulting in 47,849 live births (deliveries of one or more living infants) and 61,610 live born infants. Although the use of ART is still relatively rare as compared to the potential demand, its use has doubled over the past decade. Today, over 1% of all infants born in the United States every year are conceived using ART.